return to the this is Nottingham Bloggers home page

Thursday 17 July 2008

Golf courses and high-heels don't mix!

The trees don't grow very high at Birkdale.

And who can blame them.

With the wind gusting at 30 miles an hour and the rain coming side on, even the birds walk.

The last two years the Open Championship has started in a virtual moonsoon, the trouble today was that it was also extremely cold.

I stood at the side of the 9th green and I could see mine and everyone else's breath. I had to remind myself this is the middle of July, the height of summer.

And I was amazed how some people came dressed. There were a 1000 different varieties of umbrellas.

Every colour you can name. Spotted, pretty ones and big loud ones with company names emblazoned across them.

But a lot of them had one theme in common, they were useless because they had been blown inside out.

The club golfers had come prepared. They were the ones dressed head to foot in waterproofs.

Then there were the women, the ones who came for the social scene and to be seen.

Wearing nice summer gear which now had become see-through. There were some well worth a second look but others, well it was just too much information.

And what about the ones wearing high-heels. Now I’m not a male chauvinist and I’m all for giving women the benefit of the doubt, but there are sometimes when I struggle.

Even on a dry, sunny day, golf courses and high-heels just don’t mix. Still, it takes all sorts and, when all is said and done, we can’t do with out them - women that is.

So, for their sakes, I hope the weather improves big-time.

0 comments: